Free sample lectures for a taste of what it's like to study at SMBC
A day of puppetry training with Quiz Worx
Christian Mentoring (PC720i)
The Psalter (English) (OT424i/624i)
The Apostle Peter: His Life and Letters for Ministry Today (NT789i)
Rev Dr David Burge
Lecturer - Theology, New Testament
Prior to SMBC:
In his teen years David clearly sensed God’s ownership of his life, and with eagerness to learn and grow, he enrolled at SMBC where he met his wife Ashleigh. In 2004 their family moved to Mongolia where David lectured in New Testament, Theology and Preaching at the Union Bible Theological College in Ulaanbaatar. From 2012 to 2015 David enjoyed serving as minister of Walcha Presbyterian Church in country NSW.
Publications and Research:
- Book Review of P Barnett, 'The Importance of Peter in Early Christianity' (Paternoster, 2016), Themelios 42.2 (2017).
- Book Review of H Bond and L Hurtado, eds., 'Peter in Early Christianity' (Eerdmans, 2015), Themelios 42.2 2017).
- First-Century Guides to Life and Death: Epictetus, Philo and Peter (Milton Keynes: Paternoster, 2017). (Available for purchase from the SMBC online store)
- 'Man of Sorrows, What a Name! The Place of Lament in the New Testament.' In Finding Lost Words: The Church's Right to Lament. Edited by G. G. Harper and K. Barker. Australian College of Theology Monograph Series. (Eugene: Wipf & Stock, 2017).
- 2 Peter: Faith in a Sceptical World - (Leyland, Lancashire: 10Publishing, 2016).
- 'God's Revelation: The Authority and Integrity of the Bible' in Truth Matters, (Presbyterian Church of Australia, 2014).
- Book review of J Gibson, 'Peter between Jerusalem and Antioch' (Mohr Siebeck, 2013), Themelios 39 (2014).
- Book review of L Helyer, 'The Life and Witness of Peter' (IVP Academic, 2013), Themelios 38 (2013).
- Book review of M. Hengel, 'Saint Peter: The Underestimated Apostle' (Eerdmans, 2010), Themelios 37 (2012).
- Book review of 'Reading Second Peter with New Eyes: Methodological Reassessments of the Letter of 2 Peter' (T&T Clark, 2010), Journal of Biblical Literature 2012 (R. Webb and D. F. Watson, eds.)
- Presentation: ‘Peter’s place in 2 Peter: some hermeneutical implications of the authorship debate’ presented at the International Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature (Kings College, London, July 2011).
- Presentation: ‘A reflection on the value of biblical theology for interpreting 2 Peter’ at Tyndale House Study Group (Cambridge, July 2011).
David counts it a privilege to teach and preach God’s word in various settings.
- The life and theology of the Apostle Peter, and the ways in which Peter helps us to appreciate Jesus.
- The rich rewards of reading Scripture theologically.
- The difficult but important topics of divine sovereignty alongside human sin, culpability, and judgment, and considering how to lovingly present these doctrines in a politically correct culture.
- The way in which baptism divides Christians, and how we might overcome the division
David and Ashleigh have three sons and a daughter. They like to get out of the house together to play or watch sport, finding pools or beaches, and meeting with their church and extended families. They count it a blessing to be living on campus among the SMBC community.
High res photo download (4MB)