Ideal for all Christians who want their hearts and minds challenged to think biblically on life issues
Old Testament Prophets and Writings (OT302i/502i)
Foundational Christian Beliefs (TH305i/505i)
A great opportunity to check out SMBC
A great opportunity to find out all about The Bridge gap year program
Rev Dr Kirk Patston
Lecturer - Old Testament
Prior to SMBC:
Kirk studied Speech Pathology at the University of Sydney and worked in Speech Pathology for a number of years. He then did theological studies before being ordained and working in Presbyterian Ministry. He joined the faculty of SMBC in 2000. He is currently working part-time as a lecturer and part-time in pastoral ministry.
Publications and Research:
- ‘Is the Bible Racist?’ CASE 48(2017): 14–17
- PhD on 'Job, Otherness and Christian Theology of Disability' (2016)
- ‘Review of Nigel Zimmerman: Levinas and Theology. (London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark)’, 2013 Journal of Religious History 38 (2014):192.
- ‘Disability Discrimination in the book of Job.’ A. Picard and M. Habets [eds], Theology and the Experience of Disability: Interdisciplinary Perspectives from Voices Down Under. London: Routledge, 2016, 41–52.
- Isaiah: Surprising Salvation. Reading the Bible Today. (Sydney South: Aquila, 2010). (Also available for purchase from SMBC online store)
- ‘God’s Inefficient Creation: A Fresh Look at Disability in the Old Testament’ CASE 21(2009): 16–21.
- ‘Introduction’ and ‘Jerrah: A Father’s Perspective’ in K. Hurley, Take Heart: For Families Living with Disability. (Sydney South: Blue Bottle, 2008), 8–12, 57–62.
Recent Conference Presentations:
- 2017 Isaiah at Katoomba Easter Convention (KEC);
- 2016 ‘Gifts and Gains: Towards a Disability-Sensitive Reading of Ecclesiastes’ Exclusion and Embrace Conference, Melbourne.
- 2014 ‘Ostriches and Others: Disability in the book of Job’ at the Healthcare and Disability in the Ancient World Unit, Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, San Diego.
- 2014 ‘Leviathan’s Laughter’ Fellowship for Biblical Studies, Sydney.
- 2013 ‘Disability Discrimination in the book of Job’ at Theology, Disability and the People of God Conference, Auckland;
- 2013 'Surrendering to God in the Old Testament' at Katoomba Easter Convention (KEC)
- 2011 Malachi at Next Generation Convention;
- 2010 Ecclesiastes and Isaiah in Northern Ireland;
- 2009 Ecclesiastes at Katoomba Easter Convention (KEC);
- 2001 Deuteronomy at Katoomba Youth Leadership Convention
Wisdom Literature, the relationship between the gospel and culture, and ministry with people with disabilities.
He is married to Lisa and the father of two adult sons. The Patstons live and attend church in the Lower Blue Mountains.
High res photo download (4.7MB)