All your part-time study needs under one roof in one evening!
Learn about your study options at Narrabeen
Monday evening lectures at Narrabeen
Wednesday Evening Talks till 23 May
Rev Rob Smith
Lecturer - Theology; Music Ministry
Prior to SMBC:
On finishing high school, Rob worked as a professional musician and then a youth minister. After completing his studies at Moore Theological College, he was ordained into the Anglican diocese of Sydney and served for 10 years as an Assistant Minister at Christ Church, St Ives. He continued parish ministry as Part-time Assistant Minister at St Clement’s, Anglican church , Mosman (2001-2005) and has an ongoing role at St Andrew’s Anglican Cathedral, Sydney as Sunday Assistant Minister (2005-present). He commenced as a Part-time lecturer in Theology and Music Ministry at SMBC in January 2002.
Selected Publications and Research:
- Songs of the Saints: Enriching Our Singing By Learning From the Songs of Scripture (Co-authored with Mike Raiter, Matthias Press, 2017). (Available for purchase from the SMBC online store)
- 'Belting Out the Blues as Believers: The Importance of Singing Lament', Themelios 42.1 (2017).
- 'The Amorality of Atheism', Themelios 40.3 (2015), pp. 404-413.
- 'Music, Singing and the Emotions: Exploring the Connections', Themelios 37.3 (2012), pp. 465–79.
- 'Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs: What are They and Why Sing Them?', CASE 23 (2010), pp. 26–29.
- 'Justification and Eschatology: A Dialogue with ‘The New Perspective on Paul’'. RTR Supplement Series 1, 2001
- 'A ‘Second Reformation’!? ‘Office’ and ‘Charisma’ in the New Testament.' RTR 58 (1999): 151-62.
- 'A Critique of the ‘New Perspective’ on Justification.' RTR 58 (1999): 98-113.
- 'Justification in ‘the New Perspective on Paul.'' RTR 58 (1999): 16-30.
- Assistant to the Director of Ministry, Training & Development for the Anglican Diocese of Sydney
- Director, writer and producer for Emu Music Australia
- Cross-denominational speaking and music ministry around Australia
- International speaking and music ministry
Rob’s academic interests include the doctrines of God, Revelation, Grace, Worship, Eschatology, Ministry, Music and the Arts, Faith and Reason
Rob is married to Claire, and they have an adult son, Nathanael. He enjoys walking, reading, tennis, movies and musical concerts. Rob performs the role of ‘Paul McCartney’ in The Beatnix – a Beatles’ tribute show.
High res photo download (4.9MB)