A great online opportunity to check out The Bridge gap year program from wherever you are!
A great opportunity to check out SMBC in person
An inspiring time of celebration
A great online opportunity to check out SMBC from wherever you are!
Teaching and Pastoral
Dr Derek Brotherson
Principal, Lecturer in Missions and Preaching
Role at SMBC:
As principal, Derek has oversight over the College - its staff and students, its vision and external relationships. Alongside the College Board and staff, he seeks to grow SMBC as a Bible-centred, holistic learning community with a focus on God’s mission. Derek also lectures in missions and preaching.
Prior to SMBC:
Derek studied Arts/Law at the Australian National University and worked as a lawyer for the Australian Government Solicitor in Canberra for a number of years. He and his wife, Anna, then moved to Sydney to study at SMBC. After that, they moved to Southeast Asia with OMF, where they served in a variety of settings, including a Bible college, a missionary training school and a women’s refuge.
- Contextualisation, and syncretism
- Hermeneutics and application
- The application of biblical theology to missiological issues
- 'Muslim Idiom Translations and A Theology of Borrowing Elements from Other Religions', in Muslim Idiom Translations, Ayman Ibrahim and Ant Greenham (eds), forthcoming
- Contextualization or Syncretism? The Use of Other-Faith Worship Forms in the Bible and in Insider Movements (Eugene: Pickwick, 2021) (Available for purchase from the SMBC online store)
- ‘Terang untuk Bangsa-Bangsa: Pelajaran dari Perjanjian Lama untuk Misi Holistik’, Te Deum 2.1 (2012): 215-234
- CMS Canberra Mission Focus 2024
- CMS Qld/Northern NSW Summer School 2023
- CMS Victoria's Summer under the Sun 2022
- OMF SE Asian Leaders Conference 2021
- Next Steps Conference (University of Sydney's Evangelical Union) 2021
- OMF national conference 2020
- OMF mission consultation 2019
- OMF 150th anniversary celebrations
- Various churches, conferences, mission seminars and trainings across SE Asia, 2011-2019
Derek is married to Anna and they have three children. They attend City Light Church, Balmain. As a family they love bushwalks, camping, meeting people from different cultural backgrounds, and eating meals with friends. Derek also enjoys playing the cello.
High res photo download (7.3MB)