Teaching and Pastoral
Rev Dr Alan Mugridge
Lecturer in New Testament
B.A. Dip.Ed. (Sydney), B.D. (Hons) (London), Dip.A. (Hons) (MTC), Th.Schol., M.Th. (MTC/ACT), Grad.Dip Hum. (UNE), B.A. (Hons) (UNE), Ph.D. (UNE). Adjunct Senior Lecturer in the School of Humanities at the University of New England.
Role at SMBC:
As part of the New Testament team, Alan lectures in New Testament and Biblical Greek units.
Prior to SMBC:
Alan taught high school mathematics for two years (1975-76), and then studied at Moore College (1977-80). He served as assistant minister at Turramurra Anglican (1981-82), and then at Willoughby Anglican (1983-84). Alan, studied at St Andrew's Hall Melbourne (1985) in preparation for serving with CMS, and then taught at St Philip's Theological College, Kongwa, Tanzania (1986-92). He is also Adjunct Senior Lecturer in the School of Humanities, University of New England as well as a member of the International Association of Papyrologists.
The manuscripts of the New Testament and other early Christian papyri, as well as reading the Gospels in their first century context
Publications and Research:
- Copying Early Christian Texts. A Study of Scribal Practice (WUNT 362; Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2016)
- ‘Learning and Faith. On calling papyri “school texts” and “Christian”,’ Buried History 48 (2012) 11-26
- ‘Writing and Writers in Antiquity: Two “Spectra” in Greek Handwriting,’ in T. Gagos (ed.), Proceedings of the Twenty-Fifth International Congress of Papyrology (Ann Arbor, 2007) (American Studies in Papyrology, 2010) 573-80
- ‘What is a Scriptorium?’ in J. Frösén, T. Purola, E. Salmenkivi (eds), Proceedings of the 24th International Congress of Papyrology (Helsinki, 1st – 7th August, 2004) (Commentationes Humanarum Litterarum 122; Helsinki: Finish Society of Sciences and Letters, 2007) vol. 2, 781-92
- ‘Warnings in the Epistle to the Hebrews. An Exegetical and Theological Study,’ RTR 46 (1987)74-82
Several church weekends away, casual preacher at Croydon Anglican
Alan attends Croydon Anglican Church, and is married to Wendy, with five adult children (and 11 grandchildren). He enjoys reading detective stories, especially Father Brown, Poirot and Rumpole of the Bailey, as well as walking, country driving, and being with his family.
High res photo download (1.5MB)
Back to People