A great online opportunity to check out The Bridge gap year program from wherever you are!
Bible Teaching and Everyday Dilemmas
A great opportunity to check out SMBC in person
A great opportunity to check out The Bridge gap year program
Learn about your professional development opportunities at SMBC
Teaching and Pastoral
Rev Rob Smith
Lecturer in Theology, Ethics and Music Ministry
Role at SMBC:
As part of the Christian Thought team, Rob lectures in theology, ethics and music ministry units.
Prior to SMBC:
On finishing high school, Rob worked as a professional musician and then a youth minister. After completing his studies at Moore Theological College, he was ordained into the Anglican diocese of Sydney and served for 10 years as an Assistant Minister at Christ Church, St Ives. He continued parish ministry as Part-time Assistant Minister at St Clement’s, Anglican church , Mosman (2001-2005) and has an ongoing role at St Andrew’s Anglican Cathedral, Sydney as Sunday Assistant Minister (2005-present). He commenced as a Part-time lecturer in Theology and Music Ministry at SMBC in January 2002.
Rob’s academic interests include the doctrines of God, Revelation, Grace, Worship, Eschatology, Ministry, Music and the Arts, Faith and Reason
Selected Publications and Research:
- Come, Let Us Sing: A Call to Musical Reformation (Latimer Trust, 2020). (Available for purchase from the SMBC online store)
- Songs of the Saints: Enriching Our Singing By Learning From the Songs of Scripture (Co-authored with Mike Raiter, Matthias Press, 2017). (Available for purchase from the SMBC online store)
- 'Belting Out the Blues as Believers: The Importance of Singing Lament', Themelios 42.1 (2017).
- 'The Amorality of Atheism', Themelios 40.3 (2015), pp. 404-413.
- 'Music, Singing and the Emotions: Exploring the Connections', Themelios 37.3 (2012), pp. 465–79.
- 'Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs: What are They and Why Sing Them?', CASE 23 (2010), pp. 26–29.
- 'Justification and Eschatology: A Dialogue with ‘The New Perspective on Paul’'. RTR Supplement Series 1, 2001
- 'A ‘Second Reformation’!? ‘Office’ and ‘Charisma’ in the New Testament.' RTR 58 (1999): 151-62.
- 'A Critique of the ‘New Perspective’ on Justification.' RTR 58 (1999): 98-113.
- 'Justification in ‘the New Perspective on Paul.'' RTR 58 (1999): 16-30.
- Assistant to the Director of Ministry, Training and Development for the Anglican Diocese of Sydney
- Director, writer and producer for Emu Music Australia
- Cross-denominational speaking and music ministry around Australia
- International speaking and music ministry
Rob is married to Claire, and they have an adult son, Nathanael. He enjoys walking, reading, tennis, movies and musical concerts. Rob performs the role of ‘Paul McCartney’ in The Beatnix – a Beatles’ tribute show.
High res photo download (4.9MB)