The Church from 1550 to Modern Times (CH302i/502i)
Wednesday Evening Talks till 17 May
Go Tell The World - Inspiring Kids with the Book of Acts
Understanding and Preaching Revelation
Apocalypse Now - Preaching the Book of Revelation
Overseas Students Application
We welcome international students to enquire about study at SMBC. Past and present students of SMBC have come from countries including Austria, Cambodia, Canada, China, Egypt, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Romania, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Sri Lanka, The United Kingdom and The United States of America.
As an international student, you will need a student visa to study at SMBC. Information about obtaining a visa is available from the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship
In addition to the prerequisite entry requirements, as an international applicant where your first language is not English, you are required to sit an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Test or equivalent, unless you have a tertiary qualification taught in English. Go to the Courses page for details of the IELTS scores required for entry into the different ACT courses. For a description and sample of the IELTS test go to the IELTS website
It is important to note that as an international student, you will need to pay your first year’s fees in full. This is so you will receive the ‘Confirmation of Enrolment’ required to apply for a student visa. Application forms are available from the SMBC Academic Registrar or Administration Centre.
While we endeavour to provide accommodation where ever possible, residential accommodation cannot be guaranteed.
Very limited funds are available to assist overseas students with their theological studies at SMBC. A pre-requisite for all requests for scholarship funds is that your application for full-time study at SMBC has been accepted.
From 2015, funds will potentially be available for New Zealand students. All other scholarship funds are already committed.
There is no formal closing date for applications. However, it is strongly recommended that international applications be submitted as early as possible in the preceding year, since the process of obtaining a student visa may take several months.
When thinking and praying about applying to study at SMBC, please consider the following important application steps.
Firstly, it is important you:
- Have a dynamic relationship with God through the work of Jesus Christ;
- Demonstrate involvement in the fellowship of a local church on a regular basis;
- Show a strong desire to study the word of God with a view to more effective service (though not necessarily full-time service), and a willingness to accept the discipline this study involves;
- Are 21 years old (minimum age);
- Have planned carefully for your payment of fees (including accommodation where relevant) for the duration of your study;
- Where relevant provide a copy of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test with your application (only applicable to those whose first language is not English). Note: applicants are not required to sit on IELTS exam if they have a tertiary qualification that was taught in English;
- Are aware of the academic and/or mature age prerequisites required for ACT courses.
Secondly, you will need to complete an Overseas Student Application Form. Please contact the Administration Centre via email with your name and address details so we can send one to you.
Once completed, please send to our Academic Registrar with:
- Two recent passport-sized photographs (these are used for your file and your student card);
- $AUD250 non-refundable application fee (Note: current as of August 2013);
- Your signed doctrinal statement;
- The medical certificate (completed by your doctor);
- Your completed health questionnaire;
- IELTS results (if applicable).
Lastly, once we have received your application form, we will contact your nominated referees. When these written responses have been returned to the Academic Registrar, your application will be reviewed by College faculty representatives. (They may contact you to clarify some issues before they make a ruling to accept or reject your application).
CRICOS Provider Code
Courses provided at SMBC, which are available to international students pending a successful SMBC application process, on behalf of the Australian College of Theology, are listed on the ‘Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)’.
The Australian College of Theology (ACT) CRICOS Provider Code is 02650E.