A great opportunity to check out study at SMBC and The Bridge
Wednesday Evening Talks till 20 May
Anchored: Bible Talks from the Book of Hebrews
Christian Mentoring Program
The SMBC Christian Mentoring Program consists of a series of three units taught at SMBC over two to three years. Each unit consists of three workshops, including a residential component. Together they build competence for Christian mentoring at an advanced level. By taking these three units within a Graduate Certificate of Divinity, Graduate Diploma of Divinity or Master of Theological Studies you will be qualified for mentoring in a variety of contexts. The principles apply in local and cross-cultural ministry settings, for helping men and women throughout their journeys as disciples.
What is Christian Mentoring?
Mentoring is an intentional interpersonal process in which one person equips and empowers another toward more effective ministry through sharing God-given encouragement, instruction and resources.
Aims of Christian Mentoring
Christian mentors aim to empower disciples for more effective ministry and personal spiritual growth through setting and moving toward clear mutually agreed objectives that arise from the mentoree’s life and ministry. Christian mentoring is statistically associated with disciples growing throughout a fruitful Christian life. It is a thoughtful way to encourage vital Christian individuals and ministry and faith communities.
Note: The next Unit 1- PC020-812i/912i will be on:
Workshop 1 (Residential) – Monday 13 - Thursday 16 July 2020
Workshop 2 (Non Residential) – Friday 11 September 2020
Workshop 3 (Non Residential) – Tuesday 20 October 2020
Unit 1 – PC020-812i/912i: Christian Mentoring
This unit is designed to contribute to your professional and vocational formation in ministry by addressing the concept and practice of Christian mentoring as a specialist area within your ministry. Christian mentoring is a broad and important area of specialised ministry and research that requires accomplished scholarly practitioners to master a significant range of theory and practice.
The Christian Mentoring unit is the first of three units that build that competence, by focusing on three main areas:
- Biblical, theological and contemporary theoretical perspectives on mentoring;
- Skills and methods in mentoring;
- Fieldwork in which you apply your developing competence in one or two mentoring relationships.
Unit 2 – PC021-812i/912i: Mentoring Christian Leaders
The unit builds on Christian mentoring in the professional and vocational formation of postgraduate students in theology and ministry by applying skills in Christian mentoring to emerging and existing Christian leaders as a specialist area within their professional activity. This unit focuses on three main areas:
- Biblical, theological and contemporary perspectives on Christian leadership and on mentoring, supervision and coaching of Christian leaders;
- Skills and methods in mentoring Christian leaders;
- Fieldwork in which you apply your developing competence in two or three relationships mentoring Christian leaders.
Unit 3 – PC022-812i/912i: Professional Practice as a Christian Mentor
The unit builds on mentoring Christian leaders in the professional and vocational formation of postgraduate students in theology and ministry by developing knowledge and skills in Christian mentoring as a healthy and sustainable professional practice. This unit focuses on three main areas:
- Critical perspectives on professional practice and training as a Christian mentor, with reflection on healthy boundaries and support structures and with a thoughtful personal style of mentoring, and all framed by a sound theology of ministry and practice;
- Skills and methods that are sufficiently accomplished for professional practice as a mentor;
- Fieldwork in which you apply your developing competence in an emerging practice as a professional Christian mentor.
Each of these units are taught by academically qualified professional Christian mentors:
This unit is conducted in partnership with MEQ.
If you'd like to learn more about this program, please contact us here