A great opportunity to check out SMBC
A great opportunity to find out all about The Bridge
Free sample lectures for a taste of what it's like to study at SMBC
A day of puppetry training with Quiz Worx
Church, Sacraments and MInistry (TH404i/604i)
The Church from 1550 to Modern Times (CH302i/502i)
2017 April Intensive Unit
We can only properly make sense of our present if we understand our past. Our numerous Protestant denominations only make sense if we understand the Reformation of the 16th century. Whether we identify ourselves as modern or post modern, we are indebted to the Enlightenment of the 18th century. Our ability to understand the American Presidential race depends in part on how we well we have grasped the rise of fundamentalism in the 19th century.
This unit picks up church history at the time of the Reformation in England and traces the history of God's people and his world through the horrors of the English Civil War, the intellectual challenges of the Enlightenment, the encouragement of the Evangelical Revival and the challenge of the great 19th century missionary movement. In the process it will help you to understand better the character of the church today, to reflect upon the warnings and encouragements of our history and to better critique our own values and culture under the authority of the Bible.
SMBC, 43 Badminton Road, Croydon 2132
Tuesday 18 - Saturday 22 April 2017
8.30am - 5.30pm (36 hours of lectures)
CH302i = 4cp - DipMin(P2), AssocDeg, BTh
CH502i = 4cp - GDDiv, MDiv, MACS
Friday 17 March 2017
- Pre-reading will be advised
- Initial assignment due on the first day
- Essay and assignments will be completed at home in the weeks following the intensive
- Post-intensive assignments via email
- Exams (if applicable) take place several weeks after the intensive. For those living outside of Sydney, it is possible to do your exams near home with an approved supervisor
- Face-to-face lectures during the week in Sydney. Morning tea and lunch provided each day
- Limited onsite accommodation at SMBC may be available with preference given to those travelling from regional locations
- E-library/library resources available.
You can complete an Australian College of Theology Diploma of Ministry (equivalent to the first year of a Bachelor of Theology) or Graduate Diploma of Divinity (equivalent to the first year of the Master of Divinity) in 4 years by intensive mode study.
Alternatively, if you would prefer not to be assessed and sit exams, you can enrol as an 'Audit' student - this suits people wanting to grow in their knowledge and love of God without the formality of assessments.