Bible Teaching and the Art of Story
A great online opportunity to check out SMBC from wherever you are!
A great online opportunity to check out The Bridge gap year program from wherever you are!
Bible Teaching and Everyday Dilemmas
A great opportunity to check out SMBC in person
At SMBC we believe in life-long learning. For our faculty, this means a commitment to ongoing research in their areas of expertise. For our Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students it is an opportunity to develop skills that will enable them to be life-long learners and leaders in educating God’s people throughout the world.
At SMBC we also believe that conversation and community are integral to both college life and scholarly practice. Our Research Seminars are held several times each year, forming a vital part of our program for both faculty and HDR students.
At our Research Seminars, faculty, HDR students and visiting scholars have the opportunity to present their work in a collegial environment, where their ideas are engaged by scholars from various disciplines. This provides opportunities for collaboration and fellowship as we support one another and strive for excellence in our research.
Our HDR program offers students a number of options, ranging from the one-year Master of Theology to doctoral studies in the fields of Theology, Mission, Practical Theology and Biblical Studies. For details (including admission requirements) see:
Our current HDR supervisors and their areas of expertise are:
- Dr Kit Barker – Psalms, Ezekiel, Violence in Scripture, Speech Act Theory, Forgiveness, Theological Interpretation
- Dr Geoff Harper – Leviticus, Pentateuch, Intertextuality, Rhetorical Criticism
- Dr Ian Maddock – Wesley, Whitefield, Evangelicalism
- Rev Dr Kirk Patston – Job, Isaiah, Wisdom Literature, Disability Studies
- Dr Alan Thompson – Luke/Acts, Pauline Epistles, Biblical Theology
- For missions related research, SMBC is part of an expanding network of international missiological scholars with a broad range of experience and expertise. Some of these supervisors teach in the Master of Intercultural Studies and some are members of the Angelina Noble Centre. If you are interested in doing research in missions, contact Dr Ed Grudier who will help you to find a supervisor with expertise in your area of interest."
We'd love to start a conversation with you about Higher Degrees by Research – please feel free to contact us with any questions here