This online presentation will give you an overview of studying at SMBC + provide opportunity for a follow up 1-to-1 chat.
Learn all about our Bible-centred, missions-focussed gap year for 18-21s.
Check out the units of study - all available in 'off-campus' mode.
Save the date!
Christianity in History from 1550
* Please note: Due to COVID-19, the lecture week will be in 'off-campus mode', that is, a mix of online lectures, videos, activities and interaction with lecturers and fellow students.*
We can only properly make sense of our present if we understand our past. Our numerous Protestant denominations only make sense if we understand the Reformation of the 16th Century. Whether we identify ourselves as modern or post-modern, we are indebted to the Enlightenment of the 18th Century. Our ability to understand the American Presidential race depends in part on how we well we have grasped the rise of fundamentalism in the 19th Century.
This unit picks up church history at the time of the Reformation in England and traces the history of God's people and his world through the horrors of the English Civil War, the intellectual challenges of the Enlightenment, the encouragement of the Evangelical Revival and the challenge of the great 19th century missionary movement. In the process it will help you to understand better the character of the church today, to reflect upon the warnings and encouragements of our history and to better critique our own values and culture under the authority of the Bible.
This unit continues the introductory survey of Church History begun with the unit 'Christianity in History to 1550'. It is divided into two sections: Section A: Reform and Revolution, and Section B: The Church Universal.
AQF level: 5/7
Start Date: Monday 31 August 2020
Lecture Week: Monday 28 September - Saturday 3 October 2020, 8.30am–4.00pm
Location: Croydon Campus, 43 Badminton Road, Croydon 2132
End Date: Friday 18 December 2020
Lecturer: Rev Dr Ian Maddock and Jasmine Lee
Credit Points and Costs:
ACH002 = 36hrs - Audit (no assessments) - $792
CH002-512i = 12cp (1 unit) - UCMin, UCTh, DipTh, AssocDeg, BMin, BTh - $2400
CH002-712i = 12cp (1 unit) - GDDiv, MACS, MDiv, MTS - $2400
- Required readings will be advised on enrolment. You should begin these by the start date and have them completed before lecture week.
- Initial assignment is due on the first day of lecture week.
- Lecture week at SMBC includes face-to-face lectures and discussions. Morning tea and lunch are provided each day.
- Essay/assignments are completed at home after the lecture week (delivered via online).
- Online access to lecturers available from start date until end date.
- E-library/library resources available from start date until end date.
- Limited onsite accommodation at SMBC may be available during the lecture week, with preference given to those travelling from regional locations.
If you are interested in this unit, please feel free to contact our registrars for more information here. We also encourage you to contact us to ensure your choice of unit is suitable for your level of study or course that you might be working towards.
Learn more about INTENSIVE MODE STUDY