Teaching and Pastoral
Dr Alan Thompson
Head of New Testament
Role at SMBC:
As the Head of the New Testament team, Alan oversees the teaching of New Testament at SMBC. He creates opportunities for planning and collaboration amongst his team and, as part of the Academic Board, supports the Director for Teaching and Learning.
Prior to SMBC:
Alan grew up in New Zealand and has spent time working in New Zealand and Europe as an electrician as well as in youth and short term mission work in Ireland and London. Alan completed his M.Div. and Ph.D. (in New Testament) at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Chicago, USA. Whilst at Trinity, he was a Teaching Assistant for Eckhard Schnabel, Ph.D. Theological Studies Program Scholar for Willem VanGemeren, and Graduate Assistant for D. A. Carson. Alan was also the New Testament Book Review Editor for Themelios, a theological journal for students and pastors (hosted on the Gospel Coalition website), from 2009 to 2014.
Publications and Research:
- Colossians and Philemon. Revised Edition. Tyndale New Testament Commentary series. Leicester: InterVarsity (forthcoming, 2022).
- Luke. Exegetical Guide to the Greek New Testament. Edited by Andreas J. Köstenberger and Robert W. Yarbrough. Nashville: B&H Academic, 2016. (Available for purchase from the SMBC online store)
- The Acts of the Risen Lord Jesus: Luke’s Account of God’s Unfolding Plan. New Studies in Biblical Theology 27. Edited by D. A. Carson. Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity, 2011. (Available for purchase from the SMBC online store)
- One Lord, One People: The Unity of the Church in Acts in Its Literary Setting. Library of New Testament Studies 359. London: T & T Clark, 2008.
- 'Book of Acts,' in Dictionary of the New Testament Use of the Old Testament. Edited by G. K. Beale, D. A. Carson, Benjamin L. Gladd, and Andrew David Naselli. Grand Rapids: Baker (forthcoming, 2022).
- 'Hans Conzelmann: Luke as Theologian of Salvation History.' Pages 247-269 in Luke-Acts in Modern Interpretation. Milestones in New Testament Scholarship. Edited by Stanley E. Porter and Ron C. Fay. Grand Rapids: Kregel Academic, 2021.
- 'Luke’s Gospel' in The NIV Grace and Truth Study Bible. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2021.
- 'Paul as Pastor in Acts: Modelling and Teaching Perseverance in the Faith.' Pages 17-30 in Paul as Pastor. Edited by Brian S. Rosner, Andrew S. Malone, and Trevor J. Burke. London: T&T Clark, 2018.
- ''Consolation for the Despairing’: C. H. Spurgeon’s Endorsement of Lament Psalms in Public Worship' in Finding Lost Words: The Church’s Right to Lament. Edited by G. G. Harper and K. Barker. Australian College of Theology Monograph Series. Eugene: Wipf & Stock, 2017.
- 'Persecution in Acts' for Open Doors online (March 2, 2017).
- 'Heavenly Testimonies: Have People Been to Heaven and Returned?' Evangelical Action. Jan (2016): 4–11.
- 'The Trinity and Luke–Acts' in The Essential Trinity: New Testament Foundations and Practical Relevance. Edited by B. D. Crowe and C. R. Trueman. London: Inter–Varsity, 2016; Phillipsburg: Presbyterian & Reformed, 2017.
- 'Bengel, Johann Albrecht (1687–1752).' Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception. Edited by H-J Klauck, et al. Berlin/New York: Walter de Gruyter, 2011.
- 'Unity in Acts: Idealization or Reality?' Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 51.3 (2008): 523-42.
- 'The Unity of the Church in Acts in Its Literary Setting.' Tyndale Bulletin 58 (2007): 155-59.
- 'The Pietist Critique of Inerrancy? J. A. Bengel’s Gnomon as a Test Case.' Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 47.1 (2004): 71-88.
- 'Blameless Before God? Philippians 3:6 in Context.' Themelios 28 (2002): 5-13.
- Review of Brian J. Tabb, Suffering in Ancient Worldview: Luke, Seneca, and 4 Maccabees in Dialogue. LNTS. Themelios 42.2 (August 2017): 387-89.
- Review of Joel B. Green, Conversion in Luke–Acts: Divine Action, Human Cognition, and the People of God. Bulletin for Biblical Research 27.2 (2017): 289-91.
- Review of James R. Edwards, The Gospel According to Luke. PNTC. Bulletin for Biblical Research 26.4 (2016): 596-98.
- Review of J. B. Lightfoot, The Acts of the Apostles: A Newly Discovered Commentary. Themelios 40.3 (December 2015): 518–19.
- Review of Andy Chambers, Exemplary Life: A Theology of Church Life in Acts. Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 57.1 (March 2014): 193-95.
- Review of Craig S. Keener, Acts: An Exegetical Commentary: Introduction and Acts 1:1–2:47. Credo Magazine 3.3 (July 2013): 88–91.
- Review of Martin C. Salter, The Power of Pentecost: An Examination of Acts 2:17–21. Themelios 37.2 (July 2012): 332–33.
- 'A conversation with Alan Thompson.' Interview at www.credomag.com July 19, 2012.
- Review of Paul Barnett, Jesus and the Rise of Early Christianity: A History of New Testament Times. Trinity Journal 24.1 (Spring 2003): 140–43.
- Review of Ben Witherington III, New Testament History: A Narrative Account. Trinity Journal 24.1 (Spring 2003): 140–43.
- Review of David Noel Freedman, ed., The Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible. Trinity Journal 22.2 (Fall 2001): 264–66.
- 'Major Lukan Interpreters: Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989).' Invited paper for the Luke-Acts group at the Evangelical Theological Society conference, San Antonio, 2016.
- 'Paul as Pastor in Acts.' Ridley Melbourne Theology Conference: Paul as Pastor, August, 2014.
- 'What is Biblical Theology?' Stand for the Gospel Conference, Auckland New Zealand, July, 2014.
- 'Kingship and Community: The Unity of the Church in Acts in the Context of Imperial Claims' presented to the Acts section of the Society of Biblical Literature conference, San Francisco, November, 2011.
- Panel member for 'The Church in the Book of Acts' in the Acts section of the Society of Biblical Literature conference, San Francisco, November, 2011.
- 'The Temple in the Book of Acts.' Oak Hill Theological College, London, UK, October, 2010.
- 'The Resurrection in Acts.' The Chalcedon Apologetics Conference, Sydney, September, 2006.
Luke and Acts, Colossians and Philemon, Use of the Old Testament in the New Testament, Biblical Theology
Alan and his wife Alayne have two daughters and attend St James Anglican Church, Croydon. He enjoys a good coffee, watching his two girls play netball, and tracking the rise of Southampton Football Club.
High res photo download (4MB)