Bible Teaching and the Art of Story
A great online opportunity to check out SMBC from wherever you are!
A great online opportunity to check out The Bridge gap year program from wherever you are!
Bible Teaching and Everyday Dilemmas
A great opportunity to check out SMBC in person
Teaching and Pastoral
Rev Dr Karl Deenick
Community and Student Care Coordinator; Lecturer in Theology and Preaching
Role at SMBC:
Karl is the Community and Student Care Coordinator. He works alongside the Director for Community and Student care to ensure the holistic well-being of students and a vibrant college community life. He oversees an initiative to strengthen SMBC’s partnership with the churches of our students. He also lectures in theology and preaching.
Prior to SMBC:
Karl studied electrical and telecommunications engineering at the University of Sydney (1997–2001) before working for the Department of Defence. He then studied for pastoral ministry at RTC. From 2011 to 2022 he served as the Senior Pastor of The Branch Church in Launceston (FIEC). While serving as a pastor, Karl also completed his PhD on circumcision, a surprisingly understudied topic, and also taught as a guest lecturer in theology for RTC in Melbourne (2017–2022).
Biblical theology, particularly the relationship between the Old Testament and the New; circumcision; baptism; ecclesiology; justification; and the work of the Spirit.
- 2 Corinthians: Suffering Overflowing to Glory. Reading the Bible Today. Sydney South: Aquila (forthcoming).
- Washed by God: The Bible’s Story of Baptism. Fearn: Christian Focus, 2022 (forthcoming).
- Gathered Together: The Beauty of Living as God’s Church. Sydney: Matthias Media, 2022 (forthcoming).
- Righteous by Promise: A Biblical Theology of Circumcision. New Studies in Biblical Theology 45. London: Apollos, 2018.
Book Chapters and Journal Articles:
- 'Circumcision,' in Dictionary of the New Testament Use of the Old Testament. Edited by G. K. Beale, D. A. Carson, Benjamin L. Gladd, and Andrew David Naselli. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2022 (forthcoming).
- 'Holy Spirit', 'Judgement', 'Church' and 'Resurrection and Eternal Life' in The New Believer’s Bible. Bible Society Australia, 2022 (forthcoming).
- 'Priest and King or Priest-King in 1 Samuel 2:35.' WTJ 73 (2011): 325–39.
- 'Who Is the ‘I’ in Romans 7:14–25?' RTR 69 (2010): 119–30.
- 'It’s Time to Speak: But What About?' The Gospel Coalition Australia, September 19, 2021.
- 'Review: Made For Friendship by Drew Hunter.' The Gospel Coalition Australia, July 20, 2021.
- 'Calvin and Times of Plague: A Missing Piece?' The Gospel Coalition Australia, May 13, 2020.
- 'What Did Circumcision Mean?' Credo Magazine, June 13, 2018.
- 2021 Surviving Disillusionment and Surviving Weakness (MTS Challenge Tas)
- 2016 The Shape of Gospel Ministry (MTS Challenge Tas)
Podcasts and Interviews:
- Thinking Theology (host)
- Thinking Theology Daily Bible (host)
Karl has an eclectic range of interests. He plays trombone, sackbut (an early form of the trombone) and piano. He also enjoys mountain biking, gardening, listening to Bach, reading lots of books, and more recently, even baking and cooking.