A great online opportunity to check out The Bridge gap year program from wherever you are!
Bible Teaching and Everyday Dilemmas
A great opportunity to check out SMBC in person
A great opportunity to check out The Bridge gap year program
Learn about your professional development opportunities at SMBC
Teaching and Pastoral
Dr Tim Silberman
Lecturer in Missions; International Student Care
Role at SMBC:
Tim is part of the SMBC Centre for Cross-Cultural Mission and lectures in missions units. He has responsibility for international student care and, with his wife Peggy, leads a college fellowship group.
Prior to SMBC:
Tim worked as a physiotherapist in Western Sydney for 6 years (1998-2003). In 2004 Tim began his studies at SMBC and completed his M.Div in 2006. In 2007 he joined the faculty in the SMBC Centre for Cross-cultural Mission. Since that time Tim has completed his M.Th in the field of intercultural leadership development and led annual mission trips to various countries including 4 months with his family in India in 2012. Tim helped to design and launch The Bridge Program and served as its director from 2015-2017. In 2021, Tim completed his doctoral studies exploring the involvement of Australian local churches in mission.
Missional ecclesiology, Intercultural leadership development, Theology of mission, Missionary mobilisation.
Publications and Research:
- Doctoral Thesis on 'To Neighbours and Nations: Factors Shaping Australian Evangelical Church Patterns of Mission Involvement'.
- Silberman, Tim. 'Unmissional Church? Knox-Robinson Ecclesiology and the Mission of the Local Church' in Colloquium. The Australian and New Zealand Theological Review (2019) Vol. 51, No. 2, pp.61-76.
- Silberman, Tim. ‘Imitation in cross-cultural leadership development’ in Missiology: An International Review (2018) Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 240-250.
- Hibbert, Richard, Evelyn Hibbert & Tim Silberman. ‘Mobilizing New Missionaries’ in Evangelical Missions Quarterly (2016) Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 172-179.
- Hibbert, Richard, Evelyn Hibbert & Tim Silberman, ‘The journey towards long-term missionary service: How Australian missionaries are being called and choose mission agencies’ in Missiology: An International Review (2015) Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 469-482.
- An Investigation into the Nature of Pauline Imitation with Implications for its use in Intercultural Leadership Development, M.Th Thesis.
- Currently researching the factors influencing local church involvement in mission.
- ReachOut Katoomba 2020
- Portugal National Student Ministry Conference (2013)
- Chairman of ReachOut Mission Network (2009-2014)
- Hindustan Bible Institute, Chennai, Pastor's Conference (2012)
- Speaker at various churches in NSW and Interstate
- Speaker on various Church retreats
Tim is married to Peggy and they have two daughters and a son. He attends Cornerstone Presbyterian Church in Concord and he enjoys running, cycling, reading and spending time with his family.
High res photo download (3.5MB)