A great online opportunity to check out The Bridge gap year program from wherever you are!
Bible Teaching and Everyday Dilemmas
A great opportunity to check out SMBC in person
A great opportunity to check out The Bridge gap year program
Learn about your professional development opportunities at SMBC
Teaching and Pastoral
Rev Dr Rod Thompson
Lecturer in Practical Theology
Role at SMBC:
Rod is part of the SMBC Centre for Preaching and Pastoral Ministry and lectures in practical theology.
Prior to SMBC:
Rod has served in a variety of educational institutions and churches over many years. After his initial studies at Sydney University, Rod taught in secondary schools for 10 years. He then studied at the Presbyterian Training Centre (now Christ College), completing a Licentiate of Theology in 1986 and serving as a Presbyterian minister in Mount Druitt. In 1987 Rod was part of a team that planted Plumpton Presbyterian Church. After 12 years of pastoring, Rod completed a Masters in Education through the Institute of Christian Tertiary Education (ICTE), and then a Doctorate in Education at Macquarie University, exploring the foundational impact of the Bible for the educational vision and practices of the Christian Schooling movement in Australia. In 2004, Rod and his wife Rosanne travelled to Auckland, New Zealand where he lectured at the Masters Institute and then Laidlaw College (formerly the Bible College of New Zealand). Rod then served as the Principal of Laidlaw from 2010-15. Rod and Rosanne then returned to Australia. In 2016 Rod commenced as an ordained minister at Springwood Presbyterian Church and currently continues in that role.
Biblical theology, worldviews, pastoral theology and preaching.
Publications and Research:
- Christian Teachers Journal (CTJ) articles – four articles on biblical immersion and formation for the quarterly CTJ editions published during 2020-2021.
- Chapter “The World is Your Playground: Competing Stories of Gospel and Globalized Adventure” in Goheen, M. & Glanville, E. Ed’s. 2009. The Gospel and Globalization: Exploring the Religious Roots of a Globalized World. Vancouver, Canada: Regent Publishing.
- Where Elephants Swim 1, 2, 3 and 4. 2008, 2009. Auckland, Interact Curriculum Press.
- Nurture: Journal for Home and School. June 2007. Volume 41.2 Article on leadership entitled “Take me to your leader: Approaching the meaning of leadership”.
- Thompson, R. and Kelshaw, C. 2007. Shocked by Blessing. Sydney, Australia, National Institute of Christian Education.
- Chapter “Humanism” in Smart, S. Ed. 2007. Spectator’s Guide to Worldviews: Ten Ways of Understanding Life. Sydney, Australia, Blue Bottle Books.
- Biblical Introduction to Worldview. 2005. Auckland, New Zealand: MASTERS Institute.
- Reality magazine article on Worldview and culture, No. 64 August/September 2004.
- The Christian Teachers Journal Volume 12. No. 4. October 2004. Article entitled “Biblical Studies Curriculum”.
- Genesis and Jesus and Christian Worldview. In Ireland, J. Ed. Pointing the Way. 2003. Sydney, Australia: Christian School Publications
- God and People (GAP) Bible curriculum (1994) – a Biblical Studies programme used within Christian schools in Australia
- All the Layers of the Cake (1994) – a book and curriculum outline for the teaching of Biblical Studies
- Preaching at Springwood Presbyterian Church, available on the podcast Alive@Springwood
- Conducting Professional Learning courses with Christian Education National (CEN) throughout Australia. These courses are entitled The Bible in the Belly of the School and The School in the Belly of Culture.
Rod and his wife Rosanne live in Springwood in the Blue Mountains. They have four grown children and eight grandchildren. They enjoy the community of the church and family life. Rod loves reading, listening to music, and Bennett, their miniature schnauzer.